Illustration and Visual Narrative Project 3

05/Apr/2023 - 16/Jul/2023 

Wang Zilong / 0361141

Illustration and Visual Narrative / Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media / Taylor's University

 Choose a story from the linked website. Break down the narrative of the chosen story into 3-act structures of Introduction - Climax - Epilogue. Then create 3 panels digital triptych illustrating each of the act. 

Consider the interesting twists in the plots of each act, and include these into the design.

Or you can highlight the notable icons or symbolisms that occur in these acts.

Think of creating a premise preview for the story to make readers intrigued.

Challenges : 

Only one story from this website: https://poestories.com/stories.php

No, you cannot use other story than the ones from the website

Visuals are displayed in a series of three

Include short non-spoiler text for each act


The story that I chose is the "manuscript found in a bottle"

Setup: Our ship was a beautiful ship, weighing about four hundred tons, fastened with copper, and built of Malabar teak in Bombay. She brings lint and oil from the Lachadive Islands. We also had coir, jaggery, ghee, cocoa nuts, and several chests of opium on board. The stowage was awkward, so the ship wobbled.

Conflict: I told the captain of my fears - but he ignored my words and left me unceremoniously to give an answer. However, my restlessness kept me from sleeping, and about midnight I stepped onto the deck. As my feet mounted the upper steps of my companion's ladder, I was startled by a loud hum, like the sound of a waterwheel spinning rapidly, and before I could figure out what it meant, I found that The ship trembled into its center. The next instant a wild patch of foam flung us over the end of the transom and rushed past us bow and stern, sweeping the deck from bow to stern.

Resolution: An event happened that gave me new space to meditate. Are these things the work of uncontrolled chance? I ventured up to the deck, and threw myself, without attracting any attention, between a pile of canvas and old sails at the bottom of the galleon. While contemplating the singularity of my fate, I inadvertently painted with a tar brush the edge of a neatly folded upright sail that rested on a barrel near me. The sail is now bent over the ship, and the careless strokes of the brush are scattered throughout the word "discovery"

Resolution: An event happened that gave me new space to meditate. Are these things the work of uncontrolled chance? I ventured up to the deck, and threw myself, without attracting any attention, between a pile of canvas and old sails at the bottom of the galleon. While contemplating the singularity of my fate, I inadvertently painted with a tar brush the edge of a neatly folded upright sail that rested on a barrel near me. The sail is now bent over the ship, and the careless strokes of the brush are scattered throughout the word "discovery"


Process

The whole story is related to the Era so I created a boat using the pen tool in the middle of the art board.

figure 1.1 the boat for the main body


Then, I added the background of the sky with the cloud and the surface of the sea for the first of the triptych.



figure 1.2 the first image for the triptych 

Then I changed the background of the first image showing the coming storm, I added more detail of the surface of the sea and used the gradient color.


figure 1.3 the first and the second image in triptych 

What 's more, the third picture is a bit different from the other images, the unknown ship is occurred in the last image, then I created a shade of that ship to make it feels more mysterious for me. 

figure 1.4 the last image of triptych
 

figure 1.5 the final design


Reflection 

I have the ability to create a triptych based on a story written in 1833 and I am more familiar with the tools especially the pen tool.



















(1833)adventure at sth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog